15 Oct Away from Home Channel Development
Established in 1998 Boundary Bend Limited (now Cobram Estate Olives Limited) is Australia’s largest leading vertically integrated grower and processor of olive oil product and a leading player in the global industry.
The Client is the leading marketer of premium Australian olive through its branded subsidiaries at the time Cobram Estate and Boundary Bend – Red Island and other brands came later.
Due to acquisitions, there existed a significant opportunity for Boundary Bend to develop its Away from Home) business and grow the brand awareness and usage generating additional revenue and reducing its reliance on the Retail Channel.
Key objectives of the project were to provide an initial quantitative / qualitative evaluation of the Australian Away from Home Olive Oil market and to determine the establishment of a viable Foodservice channel.
How it was resolved
Conducted industry research analysis, data and intelligence gathering, 1:1 Meetings with Major customers, end-user field visits and discussions with relevant Foodservice stakeholders utilizing network contacts.
- Quantified volume, revenue and market share for all olive oil product segments within the Away from Home channel
- Identified competitor growers, manufacturers, suppliers, 3rd party manufacturing and importers – quantified revenue, market share, capabilities , price and quality positioning
- Identification and prioritisation of target End-User segment opportunities in respect of price, quality and service requirements aligned to Boundary Bend / Cobram Estate strategy
- Review of current Away from Home approach and recommended best way forward to meet stakeholder expectations.
The results achieved
Recommendations presented were to take a long term view with regard to its investment in the Foodservice channel so as to realise Boundary Bend market leadership aspirations. Details as follows –
- Brand identification strategy defined to leverage quality and integrity positioning and the establishment of a New Product Development and Innovation platform
- Identification of defined end-user segments and targeted major accounts including investment in End-User and Distributor Education programs
- Private Label / Exclusive Label / Contract packing business opportunities determined
- “Go to market” strategy and recommendations inclusive of product range, branding, price structure, quality positioning, target customers, service requirements inclusive of cost and risk analysis
“Chris helped us gain a strong understanding of the complex Away from Home channel, key players and the competitive environment, allowing us to make informed business decisions regarding our product mix and entry strategy.”
Tim Smith – Sales & Marketing Director Boundary Bend